Iain Abernethy.com   Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iain Abernethy.com » Kata Application » Jion Bunkai

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jion Bunkai
Ben

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Jion, there is a jodan morote uke delivered to the left from the right hip which is then mirrored on the righthand side. Does anybody have any useful applications for this sequence?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 6 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having trouble visualising the sequence you mean, Ben.

Here is a link to a step-by-step diagram of the Shotokan jion kata.

http://www.karate-do.de/bilder/Jion.jpg

My guess is you mean sequence number "34".

We did the jion kata yesterday in class, and I doubt you can trace back the original bunkai for the sequence, most probably it has mutated to a simple striking technique.

However during a "freeform" bunkai session last night I used it as a choke hold from behind. Here was my spontaneous bunkai attempt:

(numbers taken from jion kata jpg from above link)

32: block attacker's (A) down coming punch
33: grab A's attacking arm, twist and pull while hitting A's on side of neck with my tetsui (bottom of fist)

(after strike I performed various improvised techniques to bring A down)

34: artery chokehold. My left arm bars A's throat and my right hand is not an elbow or back fist but puts pressure on A's back of head

EDIT: found a more traditional approach to jion here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/club-yama-karate/html/KATA/Kata%202dan/Jion/jion.htm

[ October 30, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: jion ]

--------------------
Alex Hoffmann
Shotokan Karate

Deru kugi wa utareru - "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down"

Posts: 35 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your message and useful application -I've learnt something else today!

The sequence I was referring to was numbers 24 to 27, any ideas?

Posts: 6 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked to see that jodan morote-uke as more of as grip (preparation to a throw) than a strike.

I'm not really a fan of manji-uke, since I always find it hard to believe it's a defense againt two opponents. Often, I perform it as a grab and a strike (the gedan-barai being the striking arm).

The two sequences together make it hard to find a decent application, but I bet someone on this board will know. Good luck, hope I helped [Smile]

--------------------
Alex Hoffmann
Shotokan Karate

Deru kugi wa utareru - "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down"

Posts: 35 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home page

Copyright 2005 - 2010: IainAbernethy.com