Iain Abernethy.com   Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Iain Abernethy.com » Kata Application » Seiryu Kata: Male and Female versions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seiryu Kata: Male and Female versions?
Iain Abernethy
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iain Abernethy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

I was recently reading through Tommy Morris’s 1982 book “Shukokai Karate Kata”. When introducing Seiryu kata he states the following:

quote:
Seiryu is an unusual kata, in that it has a slightly different variation for lady practitioners. The first three shiko-dachi stances and arm movements are omitted, and instead she steps forward into zenkutsu-dachi and performs an elbow strike with the palms of the hands facing each other. When the kata is performed by a man, there are a number of techniques performed with dynamic tension and deep breathing ….
I know little about this kata and have never heard of any other kata having male and female versions. The idea seems sensible enough based on differences in anatomy; but is that what is going on here?

I’d be very grateful if anyone who knows this kata can shed some light on its origins and why there are two different versions? A breakdown of the bunkai for the two versions would also be interesting. I’m assuming that the bunkai in the female version is more appropriate to females and vice-versa? As I say, any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Iain

--------------------
www.iainabernethy.com / "The aim of discussion should not be victory but progress." - Joseph Joubert

Posts: 1597 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Lynham

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Lynham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iain, How was Australia?

Is this not the Kata that Mabuni created for women?
I was aware that he created a basic kata that was specifically for women but I didnt know there was another version for men.

EDIT: Just found this...

http://www.jkr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:seiryu-the-story-behind-the-kata&catid=34:history&Itemid=53

Greg

[ April 03, 2010, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Greg Lynham ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iain Abernethy
Administrator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iain Abernethy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Greg / Everyone else,

quote:
Is this not the Kata that Mabuni created for women?
That's what the internet seems to tell me. A breakdown of the bunkai for this female kata would be fascinating. Does anyone know of any writing Mabuni did on this kata or of any bunkai examples?

It looks like the female version was created first; with the male version being a variant. Is that right? Does anyone know who created the male version? Was that Mabuni too?

All the best,

Iain

--------------------
www.iainabernethy.com / "The aim of discussion should not be victory but progress." - Joseph Joubert

Posts: 1597 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Lynham

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Lynham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know the only bunkai Mabuni shows are for Seipai, Seienchin, Aragaki Sochin and some from the Pinans. ( Actually quite alot when you think about it!)

I would imagine as Ueshiba had some infulece on it, maybe it contains alot of Aikido techniques.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home page

Copyright 2005 - 2010: IainAbernethy.com